Thursday, April 12, 2007

Do I have a Graffiti ADICTion?

ADICT - Art Derived In Criminal Technique

OK, I admit it - maybe I'm getting (?am) a little obsessed with graffiti lately. I was therefor amused when I started to notice ADICT tags cropping up here and there, around town. I can relate to that. The tags, though relatively few, seem to show some variation and imagination. In my recent travels, I have noticed more ADICT pieces, and came to the conclusion that "ADICT" is a crew tag. Their work is well represented along the railcut, at the Water Street lot, and at the BC Silver School in Spryfield (along with Water Street - the only "legal" walls in Halifax.

In my opinion the pieces are spectacular - with each artist with a well developed style and sensibility. What do the pieces say? Many remain a mystery to me, but SPACE, SAY, SENSAY(a SAY Variant, and ADICT are among them.

If I had a graffiti problem with taggers/bombers at my business - I'd seriously think about hiring these guys to put up some pieces to discourage the vandalism - they truly are artists, producing excellent art.

ADICT - Art Derived In Criminal Technique - as good an acronym as any!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, just noticed the new blog. Congrats. Looks good.
The name has a ring of familiarity to it, but why not. And I'm sure you've considered the acronym potential: DDOG or A DDOG ...

TagBagger said...

Yes, mea name culpa - I'm trying to come up with something better, but zip so far.

I may have to change the hosting - unless I can change the template the pics are either too small, or cut off.