Friday, April 20, 2007

Oops it's not YOOPZ (Time+Knowledge=PopStarz)

IMG_3477.jpg
One of the more prolific tags around Halifax is what I have refferred to as YOOPZ - a consistently written, loopy tag which clearly contained the letters present.OPZ.

I found what seems to be an older YOOPZ tag, which on inspection, is POP*Z, ie 'PopStarz'. Sure enough, in hindsight, the little mark for the star remains present, if diminished. As always, once the meaning appears clear, I can't see in hindsight how I could have thought it was anything else.

Mystery solved - Goodbye YOOPZ, Hello POP*Z!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lord, you're right. Now that I look back at the photos, I can only see pop*z.... although, really, they could have made the * more obvious on some of them. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice bit of detection work, TB.

Did you see the editorial in the paper today?
Herald edit
and the article about a proposed bylaw?
Graffiti bylaw

PS This is post is a test for my html skilz - let me know if it works.

Anonymous said...

I was listenting to CBC last week and a person (from RCPM?) was explaining about ways of fighting graffiti, and he was saying at places they have cameras that detect and informs the tagger that he has been caught etc!! one interesting he said was that he know one tagger (don't know where) was offered a job from Disney which he turned down!

ps. you did all GT :)

Anonymous said...

you dont know how to read graf man!

Anonymous said...

u fuckin idiot... it clearly says aper..... LEARN TO READ GRAFFITI ..... DEKO's GOT MAD UPS!!!