Saturday, March 17, 2007

Scratchiti

scratchiti (skra.CHEE.tee) n. A form of graffiti in marks are etched into windows and other glass surfaces (scratch + graffiti). Also: scratchitti.



Earliest Citation: "It is costing the Transit Authority upwards of $ 20 million yearly to combat the "scratchiti" inflicted on us by a new generation of defacers. The money is spent replacing scratched glass and on cleaning crews who can wipe off the lighter scratches."
—Dennis Duggan, "A New War on 'Scratchiti'," Newsday, April 6, 1995

Gouged into a surface - glass or plexiglas windows, scratchiti is a fairly crude form of graffiti, which in Halifax is most commonly found defacing bus shelters. It's certainly my least favorite form of graffiti - unartistic, not particularly nice to look at, and decidedly a pain in the ass to photograph (Tip - High speed lens, dark background for contrast, shot wide open (fast shutter speed) to throw the background out of focus).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a big fan of scratchiti. Looks like an abandon of any pretense of artistic purpose -- just plain vandalism. Very open-minded of you to include it in your blog though.

Gifted Typist said...

Who/what is Ape?

TagBagger said...

Anonymous - I agree - scratchiti lacks any and all redeeming qualities - in part because of the use of the straight line segments needed to carve it out, which stands in stark contrast to the 'flow' of a good Tag.

Open minded? - Not really - I include it because it's graffiti related, and I'm blogging the good, the bad, and the ugly (hence the inclusion of my platter 3/19/06, though I'll let you decide which category it fall into)

TagBagger said...

GT - I don't know what species of APE it was, except to say that I doubt a Yard Ape was involved. Likely something much lower on the evolutionary scale, perhaps a missing link even.

As I've said before - I don't do Graffiti - the only 'do' I partake in related to graffiti is the 'do' in document.

Anonymous said...

scratchiti looks like it would be fun.