Tuesday, April 17, 2007

ADICT in Action - "SAY"



On Good Friday I went to the Water Street lot and found 3 of the panels freshly undercoated with pieces sketched in. Shortly thereafter 3 guys showed up and started working on them. They gave me permission to shoot them while they worked (no faces). Turns out they are 3 members of the ADICT crew (about 8 members in total).

I found them friendly, smart, TALENTED, committed (it was cold and took about 5-6 hours overall), generous, and informative (they answered all my questions, even the stupid ones). They have been writing (writing, not tagging) for several years. They sketch their work out in advance on paper. They use special nozzles (caps) for the spray paint, depending on the desired effect. They are mid-twenties, employed, articulate, and at least one with a family. It costs them $40-50 in materials for each large piece. From what I saw, if I wanted to have some work done - these would be the right guys for the job.

They also told me about BC Silver School - another 'Legal Wall' in town, which is spectacular - more to come soon.

This Flickr set shows the work by "SAY" from start to finish (actually FINISH to START as Flickr seems to insist on the reverse order). He also writes as "SENSAY", but this piece says "SAY"

No comments: