Sunday, May 13, 2007

Striking Gold at BC Silver

IMG_3290.JPG

The guys from the ADICT crew had told me that I should make sure that I went out to BC Silver school in Spryfield if I wanted to see some good pieces. An abandoned school, it is the one of two 'legal' walls in Halifax for graffiti (the Water Street parking lot being the other).

As I pulled into the parking lot (top photo) I wasn't too impressed. However, if you ignore the first impression, and persist, the rewards are well worth the trip (as with many things in life). Around the back of the school, there are multiple spectacular pieces, many by the ADICT crew. Great care has obviously been taken including bringing staging in, to paint the second story.

IMG_3377_2.jpg

While tagging may bring things down, this work does the opposite - amazes and inspires. It is a great pity that the school and it's artwork is due to be torn down. Halifax will lose 50% of is't legal graffiti walls, and all of us will lose something more, which most of us didn't even know existed. Like they say - if you are only planning to see one legal wall of graffiti in Halifax - this is the one. (Google Map Directions)

No comments: