Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Maynard and Gottigen Street Walk



Previously, I had reposted a letter from The Coast - bemoaning the vandalising of a neighborhood by the Tagger SAME. At the time I wondered where the author lived, as I had not noticed SAME vandalising personal private property too much. However, after a walk through the neighborhood around Creighton, Maynard, Cunard and Gottigen Streets, tucked in beside Citadel Hill, I think I know where the author of "More of the SAME" lives.

Although there is alot of very good graffiti - nice Pieces, witty Stencilling, and boldly coloured Outline Tags; BUT there is an amazing amount of tagging on houses, which is just plain old vandalism. This would be unfortunate anywhere, but is all the more so in this beautiful neighborhood, with its lovely, unique, coloured houses. The main offenders are the VA Crew (SAME, HEUS et al), ENDER, BOS, and the artless JEM (who is a pure vandal in the true sense of the word, without any apparent redeeming qualities in his/her graffiti).

Graffiti can brighten up dreary post-industrial landscapes, but defacing homes? - I have to agree with the Coast letter-writer - "Don't paint my neighbors' homes, fucking green bins, local businesses, sidewalks...any of it. Just don't. We are a COMMUNITY and one that is sick and tired of your shit" (Actually I thought the sidewalk pieces I saw were lovely...)

No comments: